Thursday, December 26, 2013

Flowing Rivers Tessellation

This is my design, until someone comes to me, tells me this is their design since they invented it months before I did this, and beat the pulp out of me.

I had some difficulty in this design. Why? A square twist connected to another twist with a flat link will always go the opposite direction. For example, a square twist turning clockwise is properly linked to a square twist turning counter-clockwise.

With that note, notice that the individual square twists all go in the same direction. Meaning, the links are apparently not flat and are swerving. This gives the tessellation its "Ribbon" effect.

Making this model starts with a square twist. Then, make a square surrounding the twist using 4 90-degree pleat intersections, each side one unit from a corner of the square twist. Easy, right? It is! Until we get to the next.

The next step? Make a twist turning in the SAME direction as the first one. This will make a wave-like link between the two. Then make the big square around the twist using the pleat intersections. Be careful not to rip the paper! Hehehe.....

The tessellation looks wonderful though, especially when back-lighted.


I hope you can reverse-engineer this....Otherwise I'll just post the photo directions on this blog. (Oh my god I have to make another).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...